The desire to prevent tooth decay is one of the main reasons people come to us, at William J. Stewart Jr. in Arlington TX.
In this blog post, we’ll describe five things you need to know about cavities.
1. Cavities are also called caries or tooth decay. When a tooth is permanently damaged in the hard surface, tiny openings appear. These little holes are cavities.
2. Factors that contribute to cavities are:
- Frequent eating
- Consuming sugary beverages
- Oral bacteria
- Poor dental hygiene
3. Cavities may get so bad that you will see pits or holes in your teeth, but symptoms may be more subtle, such as sensitivity, pain when biting, or a toothache. If you observe any of these symptoms, you should call us to schedule an appointment.
4. Cavities are most common among children, but that doesn’t mean adults don’t have to take precautions.
5. Avoiding cavities is straightforward. Be sure to brush twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste, floss daily, eat right, abstain from frequent snacking, and have regular visits with your dentist.
At William J. Stewart Jr. DDS in Arlington TX, we want all our patients to enjoy the best possible dental health. People from Shavano Park, Leon Springs, and Beorne come to us for complete general and family dentistry, restorative dentistry, and much more. Call for an appointment today!