Conscious Sedation for San Antonio
Dental sedation is sometimes referred to as “sleep dentistry,” but this is a misnomer. You will actually be awake throughout the dental sedation procedure. Medications such as laughing gas and anti-anxiety medications can help you feel worry-free throughout your visit.
Some people using laughing gas may feel so relaxed during conscious sedation they fall asleep, and some may not remember much about the procedure, which is a dream come true for patients all around San Antonio who have dental anxiety. Be sure to look at some of the laughing gas side effects.
Dental Sedation Medications
- Laughing gas, which you will inhale through a face mask.
- Anti-anxiety medications, which you will take orally (as a pill) before your visit or once you arrive.
Key Points Regarding Conscious Sedation
- You can take medication in pill form or inhale laughing gas through a small oxygen mask.
- Conscious sedation treatments are safe and there are no side effects; for more information, you can visit the American Dental Association website.
- You will be conscious throughout the procedure, but very relaxed, comfortable, and worry-free.
- Some people may feel so relaxed that they fall asleep, but it isn’t the same as the IV sedation that you’d get at a hospital (you can wake up at any time).
- Most people don’t remember much about the procedures.
- Recovery from involved procedures is generally improved (jaws aren’t as sore, procedures go quicker, and gums may heal more quickly).
- With sedation dentistry we can work more quickly and very precisely, which means shorter visits.
- Some patients with neck or back problems may be more comfortable with sedation dentistry.
- Patients undergoing lengthy dental procedures may benefit from conscious sedation.
- Patients who experience dental anxiety or dental phobia are more likely to get regular dental care if they see a sedation dentist.
Relax During Your Dental Care
For over 25 years, Jurich Dental has been helping patients in San Antonio receive the dental care they need in a relaxed environment. If you think you might benefit from sedation dentistry or laughing gas treatments, call today to get an appointment at our San Antonio dental office for procedures using dental sedation.