Periodontal disease, typically called gum disease, is inflammation or infection of the gums. It is a leading cause of tooth loss, but it is treatable at William J. Stewart Jr. DDS Advanced Family & Cosmetic Dentistry in San Antonio.
For the most part, periodontal disease is preventable. Yet the condition is so widespread in the US that it has been called a health crisis by the ADA.
- If left untreated, it can cause irreversible damage such as tooth loss.
- Practicing proper dental hygiene and having 6-month dental exams are the best way to prevent periodontal disease.
- Periodontal disease can occur without the presence of cavities.
- Almost half of all 30+ adults in the US have periodontal disease.
- In some cases, periodontal disease creates no noticeable symptoms.
Risk factors for periodontal disease include tobacco use, dissatisfactory oral hygiene (especially failing to floss), genetics, teeth grinding, inflammatory conditions, and poor nutrition.
The best gum disease treatment, of course, is prevention. That means regular brushing and flossing at home, and seeing us for a checkup twice a year at William J. Stewart Jr. DDS Advanced Family & Cosmetic Dentistry in San Antonio. We also offer cosmetic dentistry services. Schedule an appointment today!