Our teeth work hard and are constantly under assault. It’s no wonder that nature encases them with an armor of enamel—the hardest substance in the body. Tragically, enamel erosion is extremely pervasive, though largely preventable. Enamel’s chief enemies are acidic foods and beverages. Other factors that can weaken enamel or wear it away are some medications, tooth grinding, acid reflux, gastrointestinal conditions, chewing ice or other hard substances, and eating disorders.
At Jurich Dental Family Cosmetic and Sedation Dentistry, we educate our patients about how to keep their enamel strong and halt continued erosion if some has already developed.
Here are five quick facts about enamel erosion:
1. Enamel is unlike many other tissues in the body; once it has been worn away, it can’t be regenerated.
2. According to the NIH, 41% of youth already have enamel erosion.
3. Too-forceful brushing can hurt enamel.
4. Diet sodas, sports drinks, and energy drinks are just as dangerous as sugared sodas.
5. Dry mouth can weaken enamel because it results in less saliva which helps keep enamel healthy and strong.
If you have already experienced enamel erosion, it’s vital to halt future erosion. Several dental procedures can protect the teeth that have been compromised. Call Jurich Dental Family Cosmetic and Sedation Dentistry today at 210-493-3040 to schedule an examination. doctor Jurich will give you guidance on the best dental treatments for enamel erosion.